Vendor’s Licenses

Applying for a Vendor’s License – Frequently Asked Questions

The State of Ohio requires any person or business making retail sales of tangible personal property or taxable services to register for sales tax by obtaining a vendor’s license. There are a few steps to take to obtain a vendor’s license.   One good first step is to review the Ohio Secretary of State’s website for information about registration and licensing.
The Ohio Secretary of State provides a nice summary for those interested in starting a new business.
That summary can be found here:

The Ohio Business Gateway also provides helpful tools for starting your business. The Ohio Business Gateway site can be found here:
There are two commonly used forms:  a vendor license form and a transient vendor license form. The “vendor license” form is for a fixed place of business in Ohio and the “transient vendor” license form is for retailers that have a temporary place of business and make sales throughout the state of Ohio.
Once you are ready to apply for a vendor’s license in Fairfield County, fill out and return the Ohio Department of Taxation’s ST1 Application for Vendor’s License to Make Taxable Sales. The form is available by contacting or visiting the Auditor’s Office, or can be found here:
A transient vendor’s license can only be obtained from the State of Ohio. The form for applying for a transient vendor’s license can be found here:
There is a one-time $25 fee for either type of vendor’s license. The fee for a traditional vendor’s license (the first type discussed in this document) can be paid in cash or by check to the County Auditor’s Office.

For a transient vendor’s license, you will need to submit the $25 fee with the state’s application.

If you apply for a traditional vendor’s license in person, the process takes a few minutes.

If you apply by mail, it will be completed and mailed back the day it is received.

Yes! To keep your vendor’s license valid, you must reply to the correspondence sent by the State of Ohio. If you did not have any sales in that calendar year, just mark $0 on the form.

Yes, please call the Fairfield County Auditor’s Office at (740) 652-7020.